So here I am, done - all but for the hem - with Vintage Vogue 2636. I like it and I'll probably make it again... After my tummy tuck. It really needs a nice slim waist to make it look right. Otherwise it looks more like a feed sack than anything else. But I'm happy with it. Mostly because I did my first *successful* invisible zipper.
Some details about this project:
1. I serged all the raw edges. I'm very happy with this as it makes everything lay smoothly and the bonus is that it looks like a "store bought" dress. SCORE! Since the fabric has a tendency to shed small bits of fluff, this is also a good thing.
2. The invisible zipper. I had to frankenstine two sewing machines to make it work, but work it did. Basically, I had to take the whole shank thingy from my White machine and attach it to my Athena. This was done with many prayers and crossed fingers, but it held on long enough to use the zipper foot from the White machine.
3. The hem. I used flexi-lace hem tape and sewed it to the serged edge so that when I sew the hem, it will be an invisible hem and not bulky. Bulky isn't good with this fabric since it's so smooth and hangs so nice.
For a Vogue pattern (supposedly the complicated brand) it went together with no hiccups at all. I've had worse trouble with Simplicity for directions/pattern piece mismatches/etc. Of course there was one weird thing with the instruction sheet. There were basically no instructions for putting in the sleeves other than "easestich between circles" and "match notches on armhole". No instructions at all for how to construct the sleeves, hem the sleeves, etc. I'm betting it's because it's a vintage reprint and some things were just taken for granted.
I'm going to rate this one 4 out of 5 scissors.